North Myrtle Beach, SC: A Vibrant Coastal Town with a Rich History
North Myrtle Beach, SC is a popular tourist destination known for its beautiful coastline, pleasant weather, recreational activities, and rich history. This article explores the history, neighborhoods, notable attractions, and statistical data of this fascinating place.
History of North Myrtle Beach, SC
North Myrtle Beach has a captivating history that can be traced back to the indigenous tribes who first occupied this area thousands of years ago.
Indigenous Tribes and European Settlements
- The early inhabitants of this region were the Waccamaw and Winyah tribes. They led a hunter-gatherer lifestyle and had a deep understanding of the local flora and fauna.
- The first European settlers arrived in the 18th century. They established several plantations in the area, with a major focus on indigo, rice, and tobacco.
Establishment and Development
- North Myrtle Beach was incorporated in 1968 when four smaller beach towns — Cherry Grove, Ocean Drive, Crescent Beach, and Windy Hill Beach — combined. These towns are now known as the neighborhoods of North Myrtle Beach.
- The city has since grown into a vibrant coastal town, becoming a favorite vacation spot for many due to its sunny beaches, world-class golf courses, and various other attractions.
Neighborhoods of North Myrtle Beach, SC
|Cherry Grove||Known for its fishing pier and the beautiful Cherry Grove Beach.|
|Ocean Drive||Famous for being the birthplace of the dance ‘The Shag’. It offers an array of dining and shopping options.|
|Crescent Beach||Features luxurious oceanfront homes, and is popular for the Crescent Beach Swing Bridge.|
|Windy Hill Beach||A family-friendly neighborhood with a serene environment, home to the popular Alabama Theatre and Barefoot Landing.|
North Myrtle Beach has a plethora of attractions for tourists and residents alike.
- North Myrtle Beach is renowned for its spectacular coastline which stretches over nine miles.
- The beaches here offer great conditions for swimming, sunbathing, beach volleyball, and other recreational activities.
- North Myrtle Beach is a golfer’s paradise. The city boasts more than 30 top-rated golf courses, including the Beachwood Golf Club and the Azalea Sands Golf Club.
The Alabama Theatre
- Located in the Windy Hill neighborhood, the Alabama Theatre is known for its entertaining shows, including music, comedy, and dance performances.
Cherry Grove Pier
- A popular fishing spot, the Cherry Grove Pier extends 985 feet into the Atlantic Ocean.
As of 2023, North Myrtle Beach has seen significant growth in its population, economy, and tourism industry.
- The estimated population of North Myrtle Beach is around 17,000.
- The median household income is approximately $50,000.
- Tourism is a major driver of the local economy, with over 15 million visitors annually.
- The real estate market is robust, with a median home value of about $300,000.
North Myrtle Beach, SC is a city of charm, history, and natural beauty. Whether you’re looking for a relaxing beach vacation, a golfing adventure, or a deep dive into local history and culture, this city has something to offer everyone.
The charm of North Myrtle Beach, SC, lies in its rich history, vibrant neighborhoods, and countless attractions. Its remarkable growth over the years has transformed it into a prime destination for vacationers and a beloved home for residents. The city’s diverse offerings ensure that there’s something for everyone in this captivating coastal town.